Chicken salad is any salad with chicken as a core ingredient. Other usual ingredients may contain mayonnaise, boiled egg, celery, onion, pepper, pickles and a variety of mustards.
You can use any leftover roasted chicken for this salad, with or without the skin. You can also poach some boneless, skinless chicken breasts in salted water for this salad.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- 3/4 lb (2-3 cups) of cooked chicken meat*, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 4-6 green olives and crushed
- 1/4 cup of sliced red onion
- 1/2 to a whole apple, cored and sliced
- 1/3 head of iceberg head lettuce, sliced and chopped
- 5 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp plum preserves, or any sweet berry preserve
- 2 Tbsp fresh crushed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
* To poach chicken for this recipe, start with a pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into large (2 to 3-inch) parts. Take a 2 quart pot of well-salted water to a rolling boil. Add the chicken to the hot water, turn off the heat and cover the vessel. Allow the chicken pieces lie in the hot water for 15 minutes, then sink the water and slice the chicken pieces into smaller pieces for the salad.
- Prepare all of the salad ingredients & toss them together in a big bowl.
- Prepare the chicken salad dressing in a separate minor bowl. Mix together all the mayonnaise, preserves, & lemon juice. Taste for the suitable balance of sweetness and acidity. The salad dressing should not be too sweet nor too bitter. Add extra preserves or lemon juice till you have reached the balance you want. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slowly stir the dressing in with the chicken salad ingredients. Taste and add more salt and pepper if required.
Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 4 cups chopped poached chicken,
- 1 stalk celery
- 4 scallions and thinly sliced or 1/4 cup sweet onion cut
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely sliced fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced parsley
- 1 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons strained freshly crushed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
POACHED CHICKEN FOR SALADS
- 10 sprigs parsley
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 small onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 3 pounds chicken breasts halves
- 1 small carrot
- 5 to 6 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- In a mixing bowl, toss all chicken, celery, scallions and herbs. Set away.
- In a small bowl, take together mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper to taste. Add to the chicken and mingle gently until combined. Refrigerate till ready to serve.
- Cook’s Note: Serve on a bed of lettuce with chopped tomatoes, in half an avocado or in a chicken club sandwich made with bread, tomatoes and lettuce.
- Put the parsley, thyme, carrot, celery,onion & chicken breasts in a medium pan. Cover with the potage, and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to very low and cover. Poach the chicken for 20 minutes or till firm to the touch. Remove the pan from the heat, cool the chicken in the liquid for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Bone and skin the chicken and cut the meat. Discard the bones and skin.
- Strain the soup and store, covered, in the refrigerator for 3 days for later use. Remove any fat from the surface of the soup before using.
Asian Sesame Chicken Salad
- 1 chicken breast meshed
- 1 cup Rucola leaves
- 1/2 tsp almond slivers
- 1 tsp roasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup asparagus
For the Dressing
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp soya sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon chilly oil
For the Chilli Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 pinch brown sugar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, take all the ingredients for the dressing, until smooth.
- Cut the chicken in strips.
- Toss the greens with almonds, sesame seeds, and half of the chicken.
- Top it with the chicken & asparagus.
- Dress it up with the dressing formerly serving.
- For a Vegetarian Version
- Leave out the chicken & usage greens with the dressing.
Roast Chicken Salad
- 1 full chicken
- 1 big onion
- 1/2 garlic
- 1 lemon
- 50 grams butter
- 6 sprigs of basil
- 6 sprigs of rosemary
- Salt & pepper
- Place the chicken on a baking plate.
- Sprinkle olive oil, salt, pepper and massage it.
- In the cavity of chicken insert onion, basil, rosemary & half a lemon.
- Add garlic and rosemary to the chicken.
- Massage butter all over the chicken.
- Roast it into the oven for an hour and a half.
Submit your review